Rev. Darrel Goodwin
The pastor is essential to providing vision and guidance to the direction of the church, especially in the areas of pastoral care, worship, and preaching. The pastor serves as a leader, teacher, guide, counselor, and challenger to congregants and team members, and represents Liberation UCC to the UCC, the Northwest Conference, and to the community as a whole.
- Worship planning
- Guiding the spiritual formation of the church
- Pastoral care
- Representing the church to the UCC, Northwest Conference, and the greater community.
- Attends Leadership Team Meetings
- Collaborates and consults with the Ministers, Moderator, and Leadership Team.
- Provides vision and direction for church activities.
The Moderator works closely with the Pastor, Vice Moderator, and the Leadership team to ensure that church operations run smoothly and according to stated values. The Moderator is responsible for calling Leadership Team and All Church meetings, and for meeting with the Pastor and Vice Moderator regularly.
- Organizes the Leadership Team, calling meetings and facilitating communication between members.
- Acts as a second point of contact with church leadership for members
- Acts as a resource for the Vice Moderator
- Represents Liberation at UCC events
- Calls and leads All Church Meetings.
- Coordinates with Madrona Grace and Kadima
- Serves in an advisory role to the Pastor
- Acts in lieu of the Pastor on organizational matters.
The Vice Moderator position serves as an introduction to the Moderator position, ensuring a smooth hand-off when the sitting Moderator’s term is finished. The Vice Moderator attends meetings, participates in planning, and becomes acquainted with procedures in preparation for their new role.
- Meets with Moderator to discuss church business
- Attends leadership team meetings
- Reflects on work for upcoming year.
- Along with the Pastor, meets with Everett’s Vice Moderator to see areas of consistency and difference between the church communities.
- Attends relevant seminars and workshops to better understand church issues.
- Acts as a liaison between Liberation and our sister faith communities.
The Administrator is responsible for managing the church office, facilitating communications via print and digital materials, and managing the church calendar.
- Creates and updates Power Point presentations for service
- Creates print materials, including bulletins and fliers
- Digital communications via the church website, emails, and social media
- Takes notes at meetings
- Meets with the pastor
- Attends Leadership Team meetings
The Head Deacon is the leader of the Deacon Team, which is responsible for set-up and tear-down for Liberation events as well as welcoming Liberation members and visitors to the church.
- Leads the Deacon Team, providing training and delegating the following tasks.
- Set up of camera and video equipment
- Greeting visitors and members
- Handing out visitor cards
- Setting up the church for service and events
- Answering visitor questions
- Taking attendance
- Calls and leading meetings of the Deacon Team.
- Acts as a conduit of information between the Deacon Team and Leadership Team.
The Worship Leader is responsible for coordinating the music for Sunday services, including song selection and running weekly rehearsals.
- Leads music portion of Sunday worship services
- Selects songs for Sunday service that align with the week’s scripture/topic, as indicated by the UCC Lectionary.
- Runs weekly rehearsals
- Recruits new choir members, and trains future Worship Leaders
- Meets with and supports Worship Team Members
- Supports worship/supplies music for other Liberation events, and events where Liberation has been invited to have a presence.
- Coordinates with Worship Coordinator.
The Worship Coordinator handles logistics related to the liturgical portions of Sunday services, crafting cohesive worship services that are responsive to the liturgical calendar and the needs of the community.
- Maintains a list of readers and liturgists
- Coordinates with Pastor to select appropriate call to worship and benedictions
- Coordinates with Worship Leader
- Long-term worship planning
- Researches diverse liturgical material
- Submits appropriate material to the Church Administrator by Wednesday of each week.
The treasurer manages church finances and issues reports to the Leadership team and Members regarding the churches financial status.
- Deposits tithes, offerings, donations into the church account
- Keeps records of donations and expenses
- Ensures that regular expenses, such as reoccurring bills and employee wages, are paid on time
- Performs monthly reconciliations between the bank statement and church records
- Attends the Leadership Team meeting and provides a monthly report
- Provides a financial report to the membership at quarterly All Church meetings
- Prepares any financial statements required by the Internal Revenue Service
The grants manager is responsible for researching and applying for grants that support the churches mission and works, and oversees grant-funded projects to ensure that funder requirements are satisfied.
- Researches funding opportunities
- Prepares and submits applications
- Works with Leadership Team to identify goals and seek funding for mission oriented projects
- Keeps Stewardship Team advised of grants coming in and assists in fundraising efforts where needed
- Ensures that funded projects are completed in compliance with funder requirements